Stories from the Classroom
Skype | Classroom Uses You Haven't Thought Of
Sometimes we don't utilize simple tools that could have a powerful impact in our classroom. Skype has always been one of those tools for me. It has the power to bring the world into my classroom but I've rarely utilized it. I think it's not until we hear stories of how others are using it that it begins to spark ideas for what it could look like in our classroom.
Today I chat with two educators who are all about Skype in the classroom. Jeni Long & Salleé Clark (who go by the dynamic duo name of Jenallee) are two Microsoft Innovation Educators with over 36 years in education collectively.
In our conversation, we discuss:
- how teachers are using Skype to supplement the work they're doing in their classes by Skyping in experts to speak with their classes or having their classes Skype with another classroom around the world.
- how to interact with schools around the world when the time zones don't match.
- how your students can be video pen pals with other students (great language learning application)
- how your English language learners can use video to share their home culture with the classroom
- the technical aspects of running a Skype chat
- where to find vetted educators / safe contacts to chat with your class
- Class jobs so everyone has a role during the chat
CONNECT WITH JENI LONG & SALEÉ CLARK
CONNECT WITH THOM
SUPPORT THE PODCAST